Sunday, November 22, 2009

Victor's Kitchen @ Sunshine Plaza #01-21



Tucked in the quieter side of town, Sunshine Plaza is a often forgotten mall located at the outskirts of the busy town area.

Usually frequented by toy enthusiasts due to the popular toy shops in the mall, Sunshine Plaza has a little Dim Sum place that is frequented by foodies who know where to get a good Dim Sum fix!




First up, the Iced Milk Tea

How is this iced milk tea different from any where else? Well, they served the beverage with the ice OUTSIDE of the cup. The reason? So that the ice will not dilute the milk tea. Ingenius and practical reason, I must say.

If you are caffeine intolerant, I would advice you not to try this one. It might be a little too strong for you. Other wise, it is a must try!

The drink is thick and has a strong taste of good tea. Made sense for them to have the ice outside of the cup, as it would certainly be a waste of good tea by having ice to dilute its goodness!



Fried Prawn Dumplings and You Tiao (fried fritters) Chee Cheong Fun

The fried prawn dumplings were so crispy, I could hear the loud crackling sound as I sank my teeth into them. The prawns wrapped in the dumplings were very fresh too. Went well with the mayo dip that came with the dish.

The You Tiao Chee Cheong Fun was something totally new to me. I've eaten Chee Cheong Fun stuffed with prawns or Char Siew meat before, but You Tiao in it was a first. It tasted surprisingly good too!

Doused in a generous helping of sauce, one would expect the You Tiao to be a little soggy. But no, it stayed crispy! A unique dish. Must try!



 XO Carrot Cake and Yam Fried Spring Rolls

The XO Carrot Cake was something completely new to me. I've never tried anything like that anywhere before. But it was certainly worth a try because it tasted excellent!

Don't expect the carrot cake to have a crispy exterior, because it doesn't. Doused in some kind of specially made XO sauce, the carrot cake was soft and soggy, but in a good way. The sauce had a mixed taste of salty, sweet and spicy, which gave the common carrot cake an added zest to it!

The Yam Fried Spring Roll seemed interesting as it was my first time having yam wrapped in spring rolls. It was however, quite mediocre tasting. Just your typical spring roll with yam wrapped inside. Nothing to shout about. I would give this a miss next time round.



Prawn Dumpling (Har Gao)

I always save the best for the last. The Har Gao was the gem of it all, in my opinion. The very very fresh prawns were wrapped with dumpling skin that wasn't too thick. Light but smooth exterior skin that was still moist from the steaming of the dish. As I bit into the dumplings, the freshness of the prawns inside were evident.

This is most certainly a must try when you are there!


2 comments:

  1. Great post there! i've heard a lot of this place. Perhaps its time to pay them a visit. Thanks for the recommendation. and congrats on the new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah my very very first comment here!
    Thanks for the kind words SiHan!
    I'm new at this, so I have much to learn :)

    Noticed that you've got a food blog as well. Good stuff there. Added to my bookmarks :D

    ReplyDelete