Monday, December 14, 2009

Everything With Fries @ 458 Joo Chiat Road



Heard some good recommendations about Everything With Fries. So since I was going around the area to shoot pictures on a Saturday afternoon, I decided to venture down Joo Chiat Road in search of this eatery.

If you are unfamiliar with the area, it can be quite a daunting task to locate the eatery. One landmark you can look out for is Joo Chiat CC. It's just 5 minutes walk along the road from there. Once you see the Hotel 81 building, you're there. It is just directly opposite the hotel.

All right, enough about directions. Let's get back to the eatery.

Here we are, at the entrance of Everything With Fries!









The table I was seated at. The decor there was simple, clean and sparse. The way I like it. Nothing fanciful, just going for the 'less is more' look.



Menu on a clipboard. Nice idea. In sync with their simplistic and clean theme.



They have a library that stocks up a fair amount of books too. So you may spend a lazy afternoon having a good read while having good food there as well.



So much about the ambiance. Now on to the important stuff. The food of course!



Lemonade to quench my thirst on a hot Saturday afternoon. Perfect.

The Lemonade was the real deal. None of those canned/pre-mixed stuff. It certainly tasted like freshly self-made lemonade. Thumbs up!

For appetizer, my friend and I shared the Skinny Wings.



They are called Skinny Wings because they are basically the mid-section of chicken wings broken into two. Hence the name. Nice idea, as it makes it even easier for you to eat the wings without the need to use your hands.

If you think that the wings look very crispy in the above pic, wait until you get to taste them. The skin was very crispy as I sank my teeth into them. The wings were well marinated as the flavors filled my mouth as I ate them. A must try if you're there!

Next came my main dish, the Cheese Burger with Straight Cut Curry-flavored Fries.



I chose the mini Caesar salad as the side for my Cheese Burger. I'm normally not much of a salad person, but I quite enjoyed the salad this time. The dressing was light and not overpowering in taste. The crispy bread cubes were a nice touch to the salad. Gave it a bit of crunch.



Wooo the melted cheese on top of the beef patty! Anything with melted cheese is a winner for me. The friendly waitress asked how I wanted my beef patty and so I asked for medium rare. The patty came well done though. But I wasn't fussy. I mean, burger patties are often well done anyway. At least they didn't over cook the patty. It was well done, but still tender and juicy. So I've got no complains there.

Now the star of the show is the fries, since the name of the eatery already suggests so. They offer shoe string fries (the skinny types you get at McDonalds') and straight cut fries (thicker ones, like MOS Burger). On top of that, they have a variety of flavored fries for you to choose from. I went for the straight cut fries, curry flavored.

I thought how could they possibly translate the taste of curry onto fries? How wrong I was. They passed with French-Frying-colors! It brought the normally ordinary fries up to another level. Each strand of fries was coated with fragrant curry powder that gave the fries an extra omph in taste. Even though I was filling rather full when I was halfway through the fries, I still finished everything.

However, after my meal, my reliable sources told me that the other flavored fries taste EVEN BETTER. I'm so going to try the fries with other flavors next time round!

I have heard good reviews about the desserts there, but my stomach was unfortunately way too full to take in anymore food. So I had to give the desserts a pass. I didn't expect the main dish to be so filling. Next time round, I'm definitely going there with an empty stomach to get the complete Everything With Fries experience!

When I visited the gents at the restaurant, I saw this just beside their toilet.




Very tongue in cheek. The owners are gracious enough to even recommend their neighbours. Nice.

I thoroughly enjoyed dining at Everything With Fries. Good food, nice ambiance and friendly staff. In fact, one of the staff started chatting with my friend and I about cameras, as she saw us shooting with our DSLRs lol.

If you don't mind finding your way around Joo Chiat or you are within the Katong/Joo Chiat vicinity, drop by Everything With Fries for a meal. You'd love it!

2 comments:

  1. you make me wanna go!!! *slurps*

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely worth a try if you are around there! I heard their desserts are really really good. So save your stomach space for desserts! :D

    ReplyDelete